Friday June 11, 2010
These are the top of the list this week from my daily gratitude list.
1. Tire swing in the backyard. I am really impressed with my daughter for inspiring me to figure out how to do it. She has a can-do attitude that I occassionally fall back on (“Really?! You think we could do that?!” Hmmm, ok!”). She is an enormous gift in my life, an alter ego when I am not ready to give the world a cheery face. A good front man for me when I am feeling a little less than I want to be.
2. Braces off my son’s teeth. Watching him enjoy his new smile is really endearing, fun, terrifying, and heart-warming. They were completely removed on Wednesday, so that night at Church youth group, he was downright flying from one group of girls to the next. Like that Greek guy with wings on his feet, I don’t think his toes touched the ground. This man-child of mine thoroughly enjoys his life and all that the world has to offer him. There are downsides to this attitude… But for now, this day, I am trying to learn from his demeanor as well and soak up the feast of life like he does.
3. Renewed friendship with an old friend. I was finally able, with no weird awkwardness at all, to approach a dear friend whom I let slide away 12 years ago in the hailstorm of life. And that grace from God, to begin the mending process, was amazing. I have no idea what is in store for us, but it was past time for me to do that, so I thank God that I had the courage and grace to get it done.
4. Roses are in bloom now! The previous owner of the house I live in planted about 50 rose bushes, and I get to reap the benefits. I have no idea how to take care of them, but I just try anyway. They are all different colors, so I have beautiful blooms.
5. Friday was payday. Of course it is all already spoken for, and I don’t even have money for licorice this week. But I am really thankful that I have a job I can go to where they appreciate the work I do, and compensate me fairly for it. I am thankful that this week I worked honestly and hard and (mostly) enjoyed it, despite the boring parts.
Joy joy joy!!!